Wednesday, April 29, 2009

{Skinny Mini}

Today we had our 7.8 month check up (a little late on the 6 month check up). I was worried that Tia might be a little on the thin side and turns out she is. She weighs in at a whopping 13lbs 12oz which lands her in the 5th percentile. As a breast feeding mother I can't help but feel partially to blame.

We've already tried several formulas but she hates them all, last week we decided to use vitamin D milk and she likes it. BUT, her pediatrician told us to keep trying formulas so she sent us home with a big bag them.


What is so wrong about giving an 8 month old (on Monday) a few supplemental bottles of Vitamin D?

11 comments:

Jen said...

Wow 5%, that is skinny. We have friends whose baby was actually even smaller. She is now 4 yrs old and wears 2T clothes. Other than that she is very smart and healthy. Zak was probably the chubbiest baby ever and was more like 95% for weight. I had to endure repeated comments about how I wasn't feeding him enough. What is a number anyway? She is normal for her, and easier to carry for you.

Andy said...

Don't worry Alie. I don't think it's your fault. Finn was in the 5th percentile at his 6th and 9th month visits too. He wouldn't take any formula either. He did start eating more on his own and the dr had us just change what we were feeding him. We added more shredded cheese, turkey/chicken bits, cottage cheese, yogurt, and cooked egg yolks. His 1yr apt is coming up and now I'm afraid he's more in the 95%.

Finn also takes a bottle now, but that was a process. First we tricked him by getting a soft-top sippie cup and offering only chilled formula with his meals. Then we slowly warmed the formula (over a week or so) and started offering the sippie cup before naps. Now he gets sippie cups with meals and bottle at bed.

Your Tia is a doll by the way.

Anonymous said...

Alie, please don't worry yourself about your nursing. Some babies are naturally small and some are ginormous whether they are nursed or not. That's just Tia, and I agree with Andy, she is adorable.Mom

Stephanie said...

It seems every family has at least one "skinny mini." When Dallin was 18 months (no longer nursing) he was not even on the chart AT ALL. They had us talk to a nutritionist to determine if he was getting enough calories. After keeping track of everything he ate for 2 weeks (very hard to do with an 18 month old) they said he was getting 75% of the calories he should for his age. I actually thought that was pretty good, all things considering, but we had to introduce a lot of high fat dairy into his diet. He then had major bowel issues, being backed up for days on end. It was great fun. I ditto the other moms. Just be sure she's healthy and happy and don't worry so much about the chart. Dallin has turned out to be a smart (most days), and healthy young man.

Neu... said...

I have to say she is one cute little baby!

Maybe she lucked out with a fabulous metabolism that most females dream about :)

Dalynn said...

I think she's an adorable little one.

Robyn said...

That top picture is sooooo C-U-T-E!!!!! Love the hair curl on top too!!!!!

Serenity Rachel said...

Why do doctors think something is wrong if a baby is small? The growth charts are simply averages and someone has to be on the small end (like me :-) ). Does she have any other indicators of anything wrong? Has she met all of her developmental milestones? Does she seem happy? Unless her growth curve has rapidly dropped I wouldn't worry about it one bit. And I wouldn't bother with formula. She's old enough to eat more solids if she isn't getting enough breast milk. Give her avocado--calorie dense with lots of good fats. Whole milk is still a bit tough to digest and some kids are allergy prone but it probably isn't that big of a deal. Whole milk yogurt is a good choice as its easier to digest--but none of that lowfat yogurt. The more I hear about doctors appt. the more I'm glad I never go to them. I've had 5 kids, the oldest almost 10 and we've had one round of antibiotics total, for all 5 kids in 10 years. Doctors are good for emergencies only and SUCK at giving good advice on how to stay healthy...so, can you tell I don't like doctors?:-)

Rachel said...

Oh Alie, Maisey breast fed 2 years and was as low as 3%! I totally thought I was going to be reported to child services (no joke) and she stayed tiny until 4- now look at her! Now I'm worried to the other extreme. And Ryley, at his 12 month visit 2 weeks ago I was praised because he gained so much weight (he made it to the 50th percentile)! He is still too thin they say (just under 19 lbs @ 12 months), but I don't care like I did with Maisey. I thought using formula would make him fat (they tried to tell me some women just don't have fatty enough milk) but no avail... And about giving her an avacado, Ryley eats at least 1 a day and he still won't beef up. I can see all of his bones. Today I even let him have 2avacados (which we try to avoid since we use cloth diapers) and 2 string cheese sticks, etc,... I guess they grow when they want to!

Rachel said...

Oh, and I know Gemia did whole milk young! Ryley can't handle it and barfs everywhere... We mix our Fat Free with his whole- I guess we should just buy 1 or 2%! We also pack him full of cottage cheese, yogurt, and string cheese to make up for the milk issues.

Wanderingfamilies said...

Some people are just naturally skinny - she is adorable! And if she likes whole milk, go for it!