Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tia's Graduation

I'm sad to say we don't have any downloading pictures of Tia's graduation.  I have one the preschool took but nothing more.  We were at the Great Wolf Lodge the night of her graduation and missed the actual ceremony.  They weird thing is we left a little early to make it home, but by the time we finally got home and unpacked we were too tired.

Tia will be 5 on September 1st and technically is old enough to start the new school year.  Tovey and I have vacillated back and forth weather or not to put her in or hold her back.  You could talk to a 100 people and get strong opinions either way.  Tia is very social and outgoing.  She loves to make people laugh and loves to talk and make friends.  The other day I was talking about a play date she had (we have to call them "play dates" in 2013, when I was a kid we just said we had a friend over).  Anyway, Tia made the point that she has actually never had a play date.  Saree usually brings friends over.  This has nothing to do with Tia, there just aren't any girls her age in the ward.  Whenever kids come over she usually ends up entertaining them when Saree get's bored.

Tia is different from Saree in that she is not self motivated to learn.  Saree just soaked things up and pushes herself.  We have been working with Tortilla all year round and still don't have the ABC's down.  She learned her colors only a few months ago.  I don't think Tia isn't smart or capable of learning, I just don't think she really cares. I'll point to a letter and ask her what it is, she won't answer but will say, "oh I know this one, it's easy".  "Ok then Tia what letter is it".  "I just know it, that's all" (meanwhile never telling me what it was).

I guess the big debate is whether we want an 18 year-old senior or a 17 year-old graduate?  Do I want her dating and driving as a sophomore or junior?  I feel like this simple decision will literally CHANGE THE COURSE OF HER LIFE.  The funny thing is if her birthday were one day earlier we wouldn't even be having this conversation.  In the end after much thought, prayer and debate we have decided to put her in Kindergarten.

I think being one grade behind Saree might be good for her.  I think once she's in school she'll pick up the academic side.  I think she is bored crazy at home and really needs to be doing something for 2.5 hours a day (half day kindergarten, jeez).  In the end I don't think we can control an 18 year-old or 17 year-old for that matter (that's what Tovey tells me).



No comments: