Monday, September 14, 2009

{Guess What}

Photobucket
An awkward pose to prove I'm 4 months pregnant
...we're having another baby. I know what you're thinking, "didn't you just have a baby like 2 months ago?" Well, it was a over a year ago, but yes trust me it was a surprise to all of us. It was almost 2 months in before I even realized I was pregnant, so I figured I mine as well wait 3 more months to tell anyone. That way we could tell everyone if it was a boy or girl at the same time.

But, this pregnancy has been a little different than the last two. After some routine lab work we discovered that my body is making antibodies to fight off antigen E (which is a type of RH). This is a normal immune response but the question is why is antigen E in my body? We did some lab work on Tovey and discovered that he is RH+ (along with 85% of the population), the problem is I am RH-. For whatever reason this is the only baby that's had an issue with it.

So, what does this mean? It means that my body's immune system wants to fight off antigen E. If the baby has antigen E in it's blood my body will attempt to destroy it by killing off the baby's red blood cells. If you remember from bio 101, red blood cells oxygenate your body and without them you become anemic which could become fatal. Worse case scenario the baby will require bi-monthly blood transfusions (into the umbilical cord) which involves operating rooms, general anesthesia for the baby and me and a lot of close monitoring. Best case scenario the baby does not have antigen E and I just have continual lab draws and ultrasounds to make sure I don't ramp up my antibodies and that the baby remains unaffected.

Of course this is more complicated than this little blog entry, but we have a really great genetic counselor and perinatal specialists working with us. Our Doctor told us he sees this about 2-3 times a year, and although it complicates the pregnancy he's never lost a baby.

25 comments:

Robyn said...

Congratulations on the new little lady or new gentleman which ever it is! Sounds like you've got the complications under control but I know the word complications and pregnancy don't mix emotionally, so just know we are thinking of you and hope all continues to go great.

jamie t. said...

Wow congrats Thompsons family! I am sure that everything is going to go great with all the help and information that you have. We will remember you and your little one in our prayers though. Keep us posted!

Michelle Rowe said...

Congratulations! We're excited for you and hope your pregnancy continues smoothly. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Stephanie said...

Congratulations! You and your sister are keeping right up with each other. I hope everything goes well, too!

Unknown said...

Congrats on the pregnancy! I'm RH- as well, and have been told that if my husband wasn't RH- as well, then I would have to get a rhogam shot during and after each pregnancy to prevent the same thing that is happening to you. Hope that all works our for the best!

Carroll Conversations said...

Congratulations Alie! My pregnancy with Ethan started out the same way, the tests found that my body was making antibodies for the antigen E. We were fortunate and got the "best case" scenario in the end because the number of antibodies didn't continue to rise. We'll hope for the same result in your case. So excited for you. Hope you're feeling okay.

Anonymous said...

You will continue to be in our prayers. Let us know if we can help, you know, with the ladies or anything.

Hey, It's Ansley said...

Exciting!

Kristy E.B. said...

Congrats on your new baby! I sure hope everything goes ok. You'll sure be a busy momma!

Rachel said...

Oh, I am so EXCITED for you guys! I can't believe you didn't spill the beans at dinner the other night! I would not have known, you're still on the small side for 4 months! Best of luck, I know you will research all you can and that there is a ton of info out there! I'm glad you have great doctors and that your parents are here right now! We're here for you too... Let us know if you need anything!

The Hadley Family said...

Congratulations!! I'm always the last to figure these things out.:)
I hope everything goes well with the pregnancy. You'll be in my prayers.

Maren said...

Congrats and good luck! It is amazing all the crazy things that can happen with pregnancy!

Jen said...

I'm glad your parents are there with you for this. We will keep you and the baby in our prayers. BTW you don't look pregnant in that picture.

Nita said...

I knew when I read the title to your blog that you were pregnant girl! Don't worry, you are prepared and can handle this! You are just awesome Talie, I think I still look 5 months pregnant all the time, LOL! I need to come down and visit you sometime, your house looks amazing! Love you babe!

Wanderingfamilies said...

Congrats! That is so exciting...good luck with everything!

Adrianna said...

Ugh. You carry your babies so well! (Jealousy over here). :) I never would have been able to tell you were expecting! Congratulations! Best wishes for best case scenario!

Ninny Beth said...

mostly I hope this is a boy to even out the estrogen in that house of yours. Tovey needs a dude that he can teach about iphones. I must admit that I'm happy to hear that your fighting RH's has nothing to do with you being 32 because I think my eggs would start screaming. You're healthy and strong and whipsmart...you'll take care of business and have a beautiful kid as always. I love you!

Ninny Beth said...

ps I think you took that picture in that dress on purpose! Why don't you try taking a picture in a leotard so we can actually see the baby bump?

Ninny Beth said...

pps. all your nice friends are reading this and wondering why I'm such a jerk.

Alie said...

Whatever ninny beth, I promise I wasn't sucking in. Eventually I get large, very large.

Devlin Days said...

Congratulations!! You guys are gonna have a full house. Maybe you'll get a boy this time. Love the pose and hope you are feeling good.

Neu... said...

Congrats! How exciting to have cousins on both sides being the same age!

PS-I personally have found being a high risk pregnancy to be a blessing... Having that extra care and attention helps to keep the nerves down. Must be a special spirit in there :)

xoxo

Dalynn said...

Congratulations on the pregnancy. It is a lot of fun to have them so close together. Good luck with all the testing.

The Callahan's said...

WOOP WOOP! CONGRATS! We are starting the adoption papers again!

Quinn said...

You look great WOW! I am very sorry to hear about the complications. It reminds me in SOOO many ways about my third. Jeffrey and Niklas are 16 months apart. I didn't realize either that I was pregnant till well into the 2nd month. Jeffrey - my third baby - was born with one of the worst complications of all times. He only has half a heart. Most of the time this is detected during the pregnancy, but not mine. So at least I didn't worry during the pregnancy, but I have continual contact with parents going through this same thing. I was holding my breath while reading your description of the up and down side and it sounds like, it could be a royal pain, but that in the end you could still end up with a healthy child. You will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers that all goes well. Keep us posted and congratulations! A new baby is always exciting.