Tuesday, January 13, 2009

{Increased Security}

I've looked everywhere and I can't seem to find my memory card full of irreplaceable photo's of Tia's birth and the last 4 months of our lives. Today I've decided to let it go and move on. One thing I've learned about motherhood is the constant need to increase security, so things like lost memory cards don't happen.

At first your little baby starts to roll around so you start moving things out of their reach.

Then they crawl and eventually walk so you start putting things on "top" of the table, bolt bookshelves to the wall, that kind of thing.

Then they get curious so you have to lock shelves and cupboards.

Then they get sneaky so you have to remove all things from counters and tables and hide anything you care about.

Then they get deviant (a.k.a 2 yrs old). Now you have to put security locks on the top of the door because they know how to unlock doors, you have to lock the refrigerator because all they want to eat is grapes and cheese. You have to change out the child locks because they now know how to hack into them, and buy "real" locks for all drawers in the house. You have to hide all sharp things because they know how to move furniture around and get to just about anywhere. You even have to buy A GPS tracker because they're an AWOL risk.

.....and doesn't she look so innocent?

4 comments:

Neu... said...

LOL... you are so funny! But a very good mommy for doing what you do. She does look innocent hence why you keep doing what you have to in order to keep her safe and everyone else in your house as sane as possible.

You are doing a good job - Keep it up!

Jen said...

I never resorted to such drastic measures, but I probably should have. I ended up calling poison control about 4 times with Maddie. One time we caught her eating raw hamburger out of the refrigerator. Another time she had climbed up to the cupboard and was drinking her fluoride drops (Her permanent teeth now have white spots on them). I just didn't see it coming with Maddie because Zak never got into things like that. Every child is soooo different. Sounds like you have an adventurous spirit.

Jen said...

Oh, I should add one more thing. Now that Zak and Maddie are older, I like Maddie's independent and adventurous spirit so much. She is not afraid to help herself if she is hungry. Zak insists that we serve him EVERYTHING, but Maddie will make breakfast in the morning and take care of anything else she needs. She even feeds Sean (and Zak sometimes)and takes care of him. When she was Saree's age it was a pain, but it is paying off now.
It makes experiences like when Maddie cut up a brand new shirt because it was too big, worth it in the end.
I bet that Saree will be a great older sister and help out a lot as she gets older.

Wanderingfamilies said...

Not so sure I am ready for all that...but she looks so sweet painting...